Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Taste of Tuesday: No Sugar Added Applesauce


  • Make applesauce from apples picked from our trees.
  • Pick basil from garden and make pesto and freeze.
  • Turn over flower beds to ready for next year's garden beds.
  • Blog about each of the above.

I love it when the things on my to do list actually make it a "want-to-do-list". And I also feel stressed when these things get to feeling overwhelming. But The first one is now crossed off the list!! And the applesauce is delicious. I love sharing the bounty! I gave some to my gal Lisa and family as they welcomed their 2nd child when I brought a meal to them. (Always include a sweet treat I advised when I guest posted over at Little Coffee Beans). I gave some to our neighbor Sara to celebrate her birthday. I brought some to the Rosh Hashanah picnic/potluck in the park - so sweet to hear the shofar this year!!! (L'Shana Tova)! And I have a jar promised to some other friends and more apples waiting on the tree. 

I used a variation of this recipe from Marisa over at Food in Jars.

Spiced Applesauce: 
4 pounds apples
½ cup apple cider or water
Optional spices:
2 pieces star anise
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon cloves
She suggests quartering apples and leaving the skins on to fish out later, but because I have my peeler, slicer, corer - it was faster for me to use that. 
Slice, core, peel apples. I toss them into a bowl of salt water to prevent browning while I'm finishing my prep. Put them in a large, non-reactive pot. Add liquid and star anise (if using), put on lid and bring to a simmer. Let fruit cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the fruit has broken down. 
Remove star anise. Using a potato masher or immersion blender, break down the fruit until it has reached your desired consistency. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. 
Marisa has more instructions on canning the applesauce, but since we were using it and eating it up quickly, I didn't bother with that step this time. Maybe next batch. Nothing like the sweetness of applesauce in late January to make you feel alive again. 


I know I have raved about my Apple slicer, corer, peeler before, but I have to again this year. I LOVE this piece of kitchen equipment and it's worth the $20!! 


Deliciousness!

12 comments:

  1. i love those peeler slicer corers. and yours was only $20??? wow, totally worth it.
    we will be going apple picking in a couple weeks, looking forward to making apple sauce. can you freeze apple sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about freezing applesauce. but the link above provides everything for canning it. I'm going to try maybe this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Homemade applesauce is the best! Have you ever made apple butter? It's another fall favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a favorite recipe?

      Delete
    2. Sorry! Late getting back to you. I do, but I'll have to look for it. I haven't made it in a couple of years...sad, I know.

      Delete
  3. Yum!! We just finished using all of the apples we picked, the last thing we made was apple sauce :) I did it in the crock pot, left the skins on and added cinnamon and vanilla...yup it is delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vanilla....yum, Kim. I will have to try it with our next batch!

      Delete
  4. We loved our apple sauce. I heated mine up and poured it over vanilla ice cream! what a yummy post partum treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple coring machines. They look like some kind of torcher device but man do they make the job easy! I went through 25 pounds of apples in under 30 minutes thanks to mine.

    I usually only add cinnamon to mine but I will have to try all these spices you added! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KC... yes, I see on blogs often people pondering the corer-slicer-peelers and asking if they should get yet another kitchen gadget. I say this is the best! I usually use it only around this time of year and I LOVE storing it because of the HUGE time saver!!!!

      Delete
  6. U have become quite the erban farm girl.good job. U should write a recipe book along with ur childrens book.lov dad

    ReplyDelete

I really do LOVE reading your comments. Thanks for visiting.