Wednesday, September 7, 2011

apples




Our two young apple trees have given us a few apples.... enough for a winter's pie.  




I love to bake with apples but the tedious effort of peeling, coring, and slicing prevented me from doing it more often. I recently came across the best kitchen gadget ever. Now with this apple corer, peeler, slicer... it takes seconds to do one and a few minutes to do several! I LOVE this gadget. And it was only $20. In fact, I'm planning to seek out as many apples as possible to core, peel, slice and store for winter.  Apple pie, apple crisp, apple torte, apple cobbler, apple crumble!!!

Mount apple through the core and turn handle

Peel, slice, and core in one step

Remove apple and all that's left is the core

Beautiful enough for ornaments?

I only used a knife to make this cut

Voila! 

I soaked the apples in salt water while I finished the rest

Even the 'mess' is beautiful!
I froze this first batch of apples.  Can't wait to harvest the last few on our trees.  Anyone close by have some trees I can come pick on?? I'm hooked.

2 comments:

  1. Looks fun. And yummy. I want in on some of those baked apple thingeys this winter :)

    ReplyDelete

I really do LOVE reading your comments. Thanks for visiting.