Monday, October 3, 2011

Plum Ginger Crumble (gluten free)

As promised, I am finally posting the sweet goodness that came of the plum boom graciously shared by our neighbors/friends, Sara and John and their little guy Carter.


We shared one crumble with another neighbor/friend, Lara, who was 39 weeks pregnant... and it wasn't long after eating this delicious crumble that her little Anna was born. (Okay, so maybe it was a few days, but I like to dream that we helped coax her into a world where such sweetness exists).

Jenn and I pretty much polished off the other crumble in less than a day.  The plum generous neighbors/friends, Sara and John, have been patient and I'm hoping to make them a crumble as a thank you for their delicious plums.

Did I mention that this recipe is gluten free.  I cannot take credit for the recipe... I snagged it from Shauna, the Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef.  They have a great blog on G-F and some books too. I'm not Gluten-Free but my lovely is... So I've been trying to shift from my mom's and grandmother's recipes and this one takes the cake.... er... I mean crumble! In fact, this is one of those G-F recipes that I could sneak past my brothers and they wouldn't even suspect.  Give it a go!!!



Plum Ginger Crumble


2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon plus 1 cup gluten-free flour
1/4 plus 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped candied ginger
12-24* Italian plums
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 well-beaten egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
*The Italian plums I used were pretty small and I used an 8x8 casserole dish for my first batch - thus 12 plums wasn't enough.  For my second and third batch (pictured above), I lined the pans with the cut plums to see how many I needed before I added them to the mixture. 
°Heat oven to 375° degrees, with rack in center. 
° Thoroughly mix brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground ginger, and candied ginger. Add to plums and mix well. Arrange, skin side up, in ungreased, deep 9-inch pie plate. 
°Combine remaining sugar, baking powder, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Stir in egg. Then, using hands, mix thoroughly to produce little particles. Sprinkle over plums. 
°Drizzle butter evenly over crumb mixture and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The crumble is done when the top is browned and plums yield easily when pricked. Remove from oven and cool.
°Serve warm or refrigerate for up to two days or freeze well covered.



And did I mention the ginger... that's my favorite part!! yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do LOVE reading your comments. Thanks for visiting.