Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Because Mama Said Sew: Bias Tape & Newborn Flyaway Jacket

I love this book by Yaker & Hoskins: One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects

Making your own bias tape has always seemed like a time consuming chore that I didn't ever want to undertake -- especially when I could just go to the store to buy it. However, the options for bias tape are somewhat limiting - mostly solid colors and never the right yellow or peach that you need. When I decided to make this little jacket for our neighbor's baby (who entered the world June 27th - Welcome little Kate), I got a little bit of help from my friend Peggy when she was visiting back in May. "It's easy", she said. I barely believed her. Then, with a little instruction, I make it. There are so many tutorials online that explain how to make it far better than I can, but if you are hesitant like I was, let me assure you, it really is easy.


A bias tape maker will cost you anywhere from $2-$6.

Voila!
At the machine.
 I felt prouder giving this gift knowing that I had even made the bias tape. Simple things, eh?

14 comments:

  1. Great job! That jacket is adorable! I haven't made my own bias tape, but I do love the idea. I love that little gadget too - I love gadgets though. It looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a good gadget, Melissa. And gadgets are more fun when they are cheap! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KC... picking fabric is something I love and abhor. When working on a project, I always wonder : "Is it the right one?" ... I've been known to stand in a fabric store for an hour with two fabrics in my hand and still looking to see if there is something better. And when there is no project in sight and I find myself in a fabric store, I can walk out with yards of wonders to wait until the perfect use comes along. sigh

      Delete
  3. Oh my, adorable. I've never made bias tape either. It just seems so easy to pick up a packet from the store. But maybe I should give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie... it's great if you actually want to use a printed fabric for bias tape instead of the solids that we easily pick up from the store. let me know how your efforts go!

      Delete
  4. Nice work on the bias tape. And super-cute jacket!

    ReplyDelete

I really do LOVE reading your comments. Thanks for visiting.