Tuesday, August 14, 2012

little hands, big help!





Cooking with kids is an adventure I love, when I'm in the right frame of mind. For me it requires lots of patience, a willingness to open to "yes" and the ability to relinquish control over the final product (and who am I kidding... I must relinquish control over the process too). A few weeks ago, in such a space, I got some assistance from my best little helper. We raided the pantry and made some delicious gluten free energy balls. The beauty of these is that the final product is delicious without perfect measurements. An ideal snack for 2 year olds to make. Avi was awesome in the kitchen - measuring, scooping, pouring, mixing, and tasting. I love to see him feeling helpful and important ... he shines with pride as he does his "work". (p.s. I love our learning tower for exactly days like this).






What are your favorite adventures to do with kidlets when you are in the right frame of mind?

6 comments:

  1. he does look proud of his efforts! Z helps me make her oatmeal every morning and she, too loves being helpful. You know how small my count top space is and she insists on sitting up there whenever food is being prepared. Looking forward to our bigger kitchen, especially with two! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that picture of her helping dada with the canning. so cute with her tush on the counter!! I have to be honest and say... i'm not looking forward to your bigger kitchen because it's tooooo far away from mine! but for you, I'm happy!! let's do dinner - just the two of us soon!

      Delete
  2. So great! We put a little in the bowl and then a little in our mouths....I know exactly what you mean about frame of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my he is getting so big! And he looks like the perfect little helper.

    Reece is my kitchen helper at pretty much every meal and he must sit on the counter. I am so very happy he loves being in there with me, it is a space I love and sharing it makes it so very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been inspired by your blog posts where I see Reece up on the counter helping you. I know it gets easier the more one does it.. but yes, that frame of mind is a must for me!! raising children, it's my practice!

      Delete

I really do LOVE reading your comments. Thanks for visiting.